The "loop and a half"

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 05:19:35 EDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Mikhail V <mikhailwas at gmail.com> wrote:
> The first thing a developer should provide - the keys and mouse input
> should be
> *customizable* by the user. It is so by most serious application I have
> ever used.

And they most certainly are. Often, in something in the host platform.
For instance, Xfce allows me to change the keys used for various
purposes, by going into the menu and choosing "Settings" and then
"Keyboard". (Or, of course, by editing the config files.) The most
obvious and dramatic change you can do is to choose a specific
keyboard layout - Qwerty vs Dvorak, US vs German, etc, etc, etc. Do
you think that sort of thing should be in the hands of the
application, or the platform? (Note that I'm not saying "OS" here.
Usually the platform is at a higher level than that; in my case, I
would consider Xfce (my desktop manager) to be that.)

ChrisA