The "loop and a half"

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 20:37:23 EDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 5:36 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 08/10/2017 10:12, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 02:06 am, bartc wrote:

>>> I'm getting fed up with this thread now.
>>

>> This thread would be a lot less frustrating if you would enter into it with a
>> spirit of open-minded enquiry rather than an overbearing sense of superiority
>> that anything others do that you don't must be worthless.
>

> Frustrating for whom?
>
> It seems to me that it's pretty much everyone here who has an overbearing sense of superiority in that everything that Unix or Linux does is a million times better than anything else.

I follow this list in an effort to learn as much as I can even though
I am usually a fish out of water here.  But this thread in all its
twists and turns and various subject line changes seems to have gotten
totally out of hand.  Even though I am quoting only part of this one
message, there are actually many others that I am responding to here.

In my opinion (Honestly admitting my lack of technical competence.),
this insatiable thirst on this list to get every bit of technical
minutiae exactly correct is doing a severe disservice to the
friendliness of this community.  Yes, gently correct the (perceived)
errors, because we all want to have it right, but please cease this
incessant pounding of points (and people) into the ground to prove we
are right and they are wrong!

I doubt any of this is going to change Bart's mind.  Why can we not
allow him to make his points, respond to them appropriately, and then
let it go when it is clear he has strongly held opinions that are not
likely to change?

And Bart, when large numbers of technical experts in their fields have
spent many hours/months/years, yea, even several decades, developing
these software systems, why do you think that you, all by yourself,
know better?  Can you not see how frustrating this is for people who
have spent good chunks of their lives trying to do the best they can
on these software systems?  Don't you think it is a better approach to
perhaps do some self-examination and approach things from a more
humble learner's perspective?  And BTW, there are many users of
non-*nix systems on this list, or who do work on multiple operating
system platforms.

Can we not let people be who they are, perceived warts (valid or not)
and all, and after responding (hopefully gently) to technical errors
just let them be???

Peace.

--
boB