The "loop and a half"

Peter J. Holzer hjp-usenet3 at hjp.at
Sun Oct 8 11:41:04 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-08 12:53, Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Peter J. Holzer wrote:
>> In any case, that -E writes to stdout and -S to file is an inconsistency
>> which looks more like a historical accident than a planned feature to
>> me.
>
> A possible reason is that with -S there is an obvious choice
> for the output file name, i.e. <inputfile>.s, but there is
> no conventional way of naming a preprocessed C source file,
> so it's best to make the user specify it.

Actually, .i seems to be pretty common, and at least gcc recognizes .i
files as C source files which should not be preprocessed. Same for DEC's
c89 compiler (ca. 1992). The manual page for the PC/IX cc (ca. 1984)
doesn't mention .i, so I guess it didn't recognize that extension (but
it already had the -E option).

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Fluch der elektronischen Textverarbeitung:
|_|_) |                    | Man feilt solange an seinen Text um, bis
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ | zusammenpaßt. -- Ralph Babel