The "loop and a half"

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Sun Oct 8 11:01:23 EDT 2017

On 08/10/2017 13:05, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 10:46 PM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> Just look at any interactive page on the web, they all work differently.
>> People are used to it. And it allows innovation.

> Maybe it's just that you're not old enough to have worked with text
> editors that predate CUA? That might explain your confusion about what
> should be standardized.

I first used line editors in the 1970s.

When I started writing graphics apps, graphics was very new, at least in
the low-end business computer world (the one that was soon dominated by
the IBM PC).

So there was little existing practice to copy from. (And actually, I had
my hands full either designing the graphics boards, or writing the
drivers, graphics libraries, providing the fonts and so on (plus the
languages), all the underlying stuff needed to make it all work.)

However as graphics became more mainstream then yes I did adopt some
commonly expected styles (menubars for example). As for Alt-F4, if that
generates a WM_CLOSE message for example, then I would be obliged to
deal with it.

--
bartc