OT again sorry [Re: Interactive scripts (back on topic for once) [was Re: The "loop and a half"]]

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Oct 8 08:15:22 EDT 2017

Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> You don't think multiple columns in interactive mode is useful?

The issue is not whether single vs. multi column mode is better, but
whether it should automatically switch based on what kind of thing
is connected to stdin.

Personally I find that behavour surprising and would be happy for it
to use multi-column always unless explicitly told otherwise, but
it's not a big issue.

The thing that *really* annoys me is Linux insisting on colourising
the output to a tty, since it invariably seems to pick an undreadable
colour scheme. And the case-insensitive sorting... there's a reason
Makefile starts with a capital M, dammit!

--
Greg