The "loop and a half"

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Sat Oct 7 11:06:40 EDT 2017

On 07/10/2017 15:45, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2017-10-07, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>
>> Interactive Python requires quit() or exit(), complete with parentheses.
>
> Nonsense.  On Unix you can just press ctrl-D (or whatever you have
> configured as eof) at the command prompt. On windows, it's Ctrl-Z
> <Enter>.

Steve spoke about the 'usual quit/exit/bye' commands.

If you type 'quit' in interactive Python, then it says:

   Use quit() or Ctrl-Z plus Return to exit

Same for exit. So in Python, IF you want to use quit or exit to
terminate, you have to use quit() or exit() instead.

So please explain how what I wrote was nonsense.

>> Unless you've redefined quit and exit as something else, then you have
>> to crash out by other means.)
>
> Admit it, you're just trolling.

FFS, NOW what's wrong?

IF you DO redefine those names, then you DO have to use other means to
terminate. I happen to call those means 'crashing out', because it's
like yanking the plug rather than using the on/off switch. Especially on
Windows where the usual Ctrl C doesn't work, so you resort to Ctrl-Break
will which actually abort it. Ctrl Z is uncommon.

I suspect it's you trying to deliberately wind ME up.

I'm getting fed up with this thread now.