Interactive scripts (back on topic for once) [was Re: The "loop and a half"]

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 10:57:24 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-07, Steve D'Aprano <steve+python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> They're probably to busy re-doing working programs from scratch every
> few versions, with a brand new "improved" UI (almost invariably
> including a kool new design that uses light grey text on an ever so
> slightly lighter grey background)

Yes!  That!

> and deleting any useful functionality that the lead developer
> personally doesn't use, because "nobody uses that".
>
> https://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html

>From the above:

   "Why not be honest and resign yourself to the fact that version 0.8 is
    followed by version 0.8, which is then followed by version 0.8?"

I think he's being overly optimistic.  If you want to be honest about
a lot of open-source GUI stuff, version 0.8 should generally be
followed by 0.7.

It seems that the state of affairs in non-GUI open source programs is
far, far better -- maintainers often actually care whether the program
works correclty and does useful things.

--
Grant