The "loop and a half"

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Sat Oct 7 08:34:30 EDT 2017

On 07/10/2017 03:18, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Steve D'Aprano
> <steve+python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 06:21 am, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure what printing to a window or image would mean, or how
>>> it's useful, but sure.
>>
>> Print to window: Print Preview.
>>
>> Print to image: export to pdf or jpg or png.
>
> Except that that isn't what you get in his programming language. What
> you seem to get (judging from his response to the post you're quoting)
> is something that lets you treat a GUI window as if it were a console,
> printing text to it in some sort of "glass teletype" way. Leaves me
> wondering if he's ever taken one of his apps to a system that uses a
> different default font, or anything like that. Unless all his GUIs are
> built in HTML?

(That particular language was one I was using over 20 years ago and it
was an integrated part of a CAD application (and it started off
pre-Windows).

The app also supported printer/plotter/image destinations including
PostScript. The same language could take a marked-up text file, convert
it to a series of drawing elements, then render and print that page on a
PS printer. Then the same with the next page. I think I did a 350-page
manual like that. With pictures.

My current language doesn't link its 'print' to graphic displays or images.)

--
bartc