Warnings (was Re: Interactive scripts (back on topic for once) [was Re: The "loop and a half"])

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Sat Oct 7 05:56:03 EDT 2017

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 12:09 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:

> So the question is: is it right for a library to raise
> console warnings like that? Under what circumstances and to what
> destinations should a library report on potential problems?

Of course they should -- and applications should be free to disable the
warnings.

Personally, I think Python gets it right: by default, warnings are only
printed once each. Instead of getting a million

WARNING: 32x32 icon missing, using 16x16 icon

you only see it once.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.