The "loop and a half"

Peter J. Holzer hjp-usenet3 at hjp.at
Fri Oct 6 14:29:15 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-06 15:08, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 15:06:03 +0200, "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-usenet3 at hjp.at>
> declaimed the following:
>

>>I can see some merit in the idea that filters could print a short help
>>message when reading from a terminal, but creating a second
>>"interactive" version of each filter with a different name seems to be
>>utterly pointless to me.
>>
> 	Knowing UNIX practices -- it would still be the same executable with a
> different name hard-linked to it, and would differentiate by reading the
> name used to invoke it. That, or a system wide alias that expands to the
> base sort command with a default argument specifying interactive mode.

I'm not worried about code duplication or disk space. I think that the
creation of such "interactive" variants is pointless because those
people who would - in bartc's opinion - benefit from them would never
find out about them: Would a newbie who wants to sort something and
hasn't read a book or other documentation type "sort" or "isort"? If
they type "linux sort file" into Google, will they find lots of search
results telling them to use "sort" or "isort"? If they do read a book,
will it recommend "sort" or "isort"?

> {I was tempted to make that "isor", pronounced eye-sore}

:-)

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Fluch der elektronischen Textverarbeitung:
|_|_) |                    | Man feilt solange an seinen Text um, bis
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ | zusammenpaßt. -- Ralph Babel