OT I before E [was Re: Lies in education [was Re: The "loop and a half"]]

CFK cfkaran2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 08:49:15 EDT 2017

On Oct 5, 2017 2:02 PM, "Roel Schroeven" <roel at roelschroeven.net> wrote:

On 2017-10-05 06:47, Steve D'Aprano wrote:

>> On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 02:54 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>>> (There are exceptions even to the longer form of the rule, but only a
>>> handful. English isn't a tidy language.)
>>>
>> Even with the longer version of the rule, there are so few applicable
>> cases,
>> and enough difficulty in applying the rule correctly, that the rule is not
>> worth the breath it takes to say it.
>>

> Maybe we should just all switch to Dutch on this list. Might be easier.
> Certainly more consistent.

Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch. (or
Flemish)

There are a lot of exceptions, weird rules and other difficulties in Dutch
as well; we native speakers just don't notice them that much.

--
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
faster than society gathers wisdom.

Roel Schroeve

Esperanto. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto_grammar

Thanks,