why does memory consumption keep growing?

D'Arcy Cain darcy at VybeNetworks.com
Fri Oct 6 05:05:50 EDT 2017

On 10/05/2017 05:42 PM, Fetchinson . via Python-list wrote:
> On 10/5/17, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM, Fetchinson . via Python-list
>> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>>>      import mystuff
>>>      mystuff.some_more_expensive_stuff( x )
>>>      del mystuff
>>>      del x
>> You're not actually deleting anything. When you say "del x", all
>> you're doing is removing the *name* x. Especially, deleting an
>> imported module basically does nothing; it's a complete waste of time.
>> Modules are kept in their own special cache.
>
> Meaning that if mystuff has some leaky stuff in it, there is no way
> for me to recover?

Even if deleting mystuff actually removed it the objects that it created
would still exist.  Import mystuff once at the top of your script.
Importing over and over just costs CPU and could, in fact, be
contributing to your leak.

Also, I am pretty sure that the two del statements don't do anything
that ending the loop doesn't already do anyway.  Your best option is to
find the leak.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Vybe Networks Inc.