why does memory consumption keep growing?

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Fri Oct 6 03:09:05 EDT 2017

On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 04:51 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Gregory Ewing
> <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>> Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>>>
>>> Plus the downtime and labour needed to install the memory, if the computer
>>> will even take it.
>>

>> Obviously we need an architecture that supports hot-swappable
>> robot-installable RAM.

Isn't there a firmware update to the RAM that will double the available
memory?

> Cloud computing is the answer.
>
> If you don't believe me, just watch the sky for a while - new clouds
> get added without the sky turning off and on again.

Yeah, but they also disappear without notice, just when you need them the
most. And there's no privacy, they leak private information constantly:
everyone in the area knows exactly how many clouds you have and what they're
doing. There's even a website that tells you what clouds have been ordered
and where they're going:

http://www.bom.gov.au/

--
Steve