Case Solution: Carolinas HealthCare System Consumer Analytics by John A. Quelch, Margaret Rodriguez

jclopezsmu at gmail.com jclopezsmu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 19:39:20 EDT 2017

Carolinas HealthCare System: Consumer Analytics
John A. Quelch; Margaret Rodriguez
Source	Harvard Business School
Product #	515060-PDF-ENG

General Instructions

Please download this case from the Harvard website that you used to purchase the course pack at the beginning of the semester. The exam case was included in your coursepack; you have already paid for it.

Attempt all case discussion questions listed below. Please DO NOT write a nicely flowing essay, but answer each question separately, as directly and succinctly as possible. To save space, you may use bulleted lists where appropriate.  Also, simply reference the question number; you do not have to re-type the question.

The write-up should consist of no more than 5 pages (double spaced) of text.  In addition, it may have an unlimited number of exhibits in an appendix, e.g., tables for comparing and contrasting, 2x2 frameworks that summarize facts from the case situation, or diagrams that demonstrate your analysis of the case. Please note, copying exhibits from the case as appendices is not appropriate.

Theories, frameworks and concepts covered in the course should be applied in the analysis of the empirical situation. Rely on these to justify your answers rather than on additional information from outside sources (e.g., Internet search or the firm’s economic success or failure since the case was written). Also, appropriately reference (through footnotes or endnotes) the articles you are drawing on or citing in your write-up.

This final is regarded as individual work, implying that you are expected to complete it independently, without any assistance from others either in or outside of class. Please direct any questions you may have to your professor. You should not be discussing the case with your peers.

Deadline for submission of this take-home final: Monday, October 9, at midnight (US Central time).  Please submit your take-home final on Canvas. Please make sure the submission has been successful by checking to see whether it has been saved after you have submitted it.  Points will be subtracted for late submissions.

Discussion Questions (Total: 50 points)

Why has Carolinas HealthCare System (CHS) invested in Dickson Advanced Analytics (DA²)? In your answer, be sure to also address the reasons for investing in DA² as a centralized, in-house provider of analytics. (10 points)

Has DA² been successful thus far? Evaluate DA²’s performance and identify the factors critical to its success or lack thereof. (10 points)

Which of the projects DA² has piloted to date do you consider the most challenging? Why? (4 points)

In an effort to develop a strategy roadmap, CHS summarized their strategic priorities and related measures in Exhibits 3 and 4. Help CHS complete its roadmap by building a Balanced Score Card (BSC) Strategy Map that makes the strategy elements captured in these exhibits more actionable by streamlining them and relating them to each other. To the extent that you have to make assumptions about their strategy as you formulate your recommended BSC strategy map, provide short arguments for them. (16 points)

What are Dulin’s most important challenges going forward? Which of these challenges would you tackle first, why, and how would you go about addressing it? (10 points)