The "loop and a half"

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Wed Oct 4 23:26:01 EDT 2017

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 01:36 pm, Stefan Ram wrote:

> Steve D'Aprano <steve+python at pearwood.info> writes:
>>If you were teaching people to drive a car, would you insist on teaching
>>them how to pull out and rebuild the engine before sitting them in the
>>drivers seat?
>
>   If I would have to teach people to drive a car, I would
>   exercise with them how to move the steering wheel to control
>   the direction, how to change gears, how to look over the
>   shoulder to check the blind spot, and I would first exercise
>   each of these actions /in isolation/ at a quiet training
>   area, before the people then possible have to do several of
>   these actions at the same time in real road traffic.

My very first driving lesson had the instructor sit me in his car in my drive
way, show me how to start the car, where the gear, accelerator and brake
pedals were, and have me drive straight out onto a moderately busy road.

That certainly made sure I was paying attention.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.