The "loop and a half"

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Wed Oct 4 08:50:50 EDT 2017

On 04/10/2017 11:57, Rhodri James wrote:
> On 04/10/17 10:01, Robin Becker wrote:
>> Given the prevalence of the loop and a half idea in python I wonder
>> why we don't have a "do" or "loop" statement to start loops without a
>> test.
>
> See PEP 315.  Guido's rejection note is here:
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2013-June/021610.html

Oh, OK, similar to what I proposed earlier. That it was rejected is not
a surprise. Programming languages seem to hate special forms for basic
constructs such as looping, even though they can express more directly
exactly what the coder intended.

But this is what it says about it:

"Please reject the PEP. More variations along these lines won't make the
language more elegant or easier to learn. They'd just save a few hasty
folks some typing while making others who have to read/maintain their
code wonder what it means."

Exactly the same could be said of pretty much any of the advanced
features that /have/ been added.

--
bartc