How to upload to Pythonhosted.org

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 30 13:47:04 EST 2017

On 11/30/2017 03:31 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Irmen de Jong <irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl> writes:
>
>> On 11/30/2017 02:06 AM, waylan wrote:
>>> So, how do I upload an update to my documentation?
>>
>> I ran into the same issue. From what I gathered, Pythonhosted.org is
>> in the process of being dismantled and it hasn't allowed new doc
>> uploads for quite some time now. I switched to using readthedocs.io
>> instead.
>
> The issue that many are facing is how to update the pages *at the
> existing URL* to tell visitors where to go next. Cool URIs don't change
> <URL:https://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html> but, when they do, we
> are obliged to update the existing pages to point to the new ones.

Sorry, yes, that is the problem I experience as well. My library's old version
documentation is somehow frozen on Pythonhosted.org (and obviously still pops up as the
first few google hits).

> So, if pythonhosted.org is indeed being dismantled, there should be a
> way to update the pages there for informing visitor where they should go
> next.
>
> If that's not possible and instead the service is just locked down,
> that's IMO a mistake.

I agree with that. I think it's an unsolved issue until now, that gets some discussion
in this github issue https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/582

Irmen