While, If, Count Statements

Cai Gengyang gengyangcai at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 08:56:20 EST 2017

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 8:12:09 PM UTC+8, Frank Millman wrote:
> "Cai Gengyang"  wrote in message
> news:a8335d2c-1fb9-4ba9-b752-418d19e57b01 at googlegroups.com...
> >
> > On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 4:18:04 PM UTC+8, Frank Millman wrote:
> > > "Cai Gengyang"  wrote in message
> > > news:c2dfc9c4-3e16-480c-aebf-55308177510f at googlegroups.com...

> > > Have you tried putting the 'if' statement inside the 'while' loop?
> > >
> > > If not, give it a shot and see what happens.
> > >
> > > Frank Millman
> >
> > I tried this :
> >
> > count = 0
> >
> > while count < 10:
> >   if count < 5:
> >   print "Hello, I am an if statement and count is",   count
> >   print "Hello, I am a while and count is", count
> >   count += 1
> >
> > but it gives an "indentation error: expected an indented block" with an
> > arrow pointing at the count after the 3rd statement. Indentation error is
> > supposed to be an error about tabs and spaces right ? But I can't find any
> > mistakes with it ...
>
> You are almost there.
>
> An 'if' statement always requires that the following statements are
> indented. This applies even if you are already at one level of indentation.
>
> You could have, for example -
>
>     if a == 'something':
>         if b == 'something else':
>             if c == 'and another one':
>                 do_something_if_a_and_b_and_c_are_true()
>
> Or in your case -
>
>     while condition:
>         if a == 'something':
>             do_something_if_a_is_true()
>         continue with while clause
>
> Indentation is fundamental to the way Python works, so if anything above is
> not clear, query it now. It is essential that you have a firm grasp of this.
>
> HTH
>
> Frank

It works now ! All I had to shift the 2nd "print" statement up a few spaces and it worked --- This is my code:

count = 0

while count < 10:
  if count < 5:
    print "Hello, I am an if statement and count is",   count
  print "Hello, I am a while and count is", count
  count += 1

Output :

Hello, I am an if statement and count is 0
Hello, I am a while and count is 0
Hello, I am an if statement and count is 1
Hello, I am a while and count is 1
Hello, I am an if statement and count is 2
Hello, I am a while and count is 2
Hello, I am an if statement and count is 3
Hello, I am a while and count is 3
Hello, I am an if statement and count is 4
Hello, I am a while and count is 4
Hello, I am a while and count is 5
Hello, I am a while and count is 6
Hello, I am a while and count is 7