Increasing the diversity of people who write Python (was: Benefits of unicode identifiers)

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 09:55:29 EST 2017

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 8:07:47 PM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 1:25 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > You could go one step more sophisticated and use TeX-input method
> > (C-x RET C-\)
> > After which \'e will collapse as é
> > “Yeah ok but how the ^)*^$# am I to remember the mantra \'e?!” you may ask
> > True… So as you rightly do,
> > - pick it up from google
> > - put emacs into tex input mode
> > - paste from google into emacs
> > - place point on the new char and type C-u C-x =
> >   Among other things emacs will helpfully inform you (among other things)
> >   to input: type "\'{e}" or "\'e" with TeX input method
>
> Which is closely related to the Compose key input method that I use.
> First, you assign a key on your keyboard to be Compose (at least on
> all my systems, there isn't one by default); I use the key between
> left Ctrl and left Alt.

Ha Ha So you wont speak the unspeakable?¿!¡

I also have my compose set (to Capslock)
And I entered those chars above with C?? and C!! where C is Capslock

I most frequently use that for ⇒ (C=>) → (C->) ¹ (C^1) ₁ (C_1) etc
One can find other goodies at /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose

I didn't start with mentioning that to Skip because his basic requirement
(as I got it) was that
- input method should be OS-neutral
- emacs can be assumed

And so the only OS-non-neutrality that I am aware of is that sometimes
Alt works as Meta (gui-emacsen) and sometimes not terminal/text emacsen (typically, though I believe some ppl successfully tweak this also)
And so M-x can mean Alt-x (chord) or ESC-x (sequence) and a few such anomalies
But beyond that emacsen should be same for all OSes (modulo versions)