Increasing the diversity of people who write Python (was: Benefits of unicode identifiers)

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 09:25:10 EST 2017

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 10:11:24 PM UTC+5:30, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> > Because if I already can't understand the words, it will be more useful
> > to me to be able to type them reliably at a keyboard, for replication,
> > search, discussion with others about the code, etc.
>
> I am probably not alone in my Americo-centric world where I can't even
> easily type accented Latin-1 characters. I happen to be using Linux as
> I type this, but type at a Windows keyboard at work (ugh) and have
> long been a user of Macs (still have one or two at home). Might the
> problem be further multiplied by the number of different ways I have
> of entering text? Would Emacs running on Linux, but displaying on
> Windows be different than Chrome running directly on Linux?

I strongly suspect that any recent emacs will have M-x insert-char
(earlier it was called ucs-insert) default bound C-x 8 RET (yeah thats clunky)
which will accept at the minibuffer input

At which point the hex for é which is e9 can be entered — yeah its unreasonable to expect to remember that!
Its more reasonable to remember that that is an e acute;
And e itself is a latin lower case letter
All of which becomes entering (in the minibuffer)
LATIN SMALL LETTER E ACUTE
- upper case not required; emacs will upcase it for you
- And will also provide some tab/star expansion help
ie *letter e acuteTAB
expands to
LATIN *L LETTER E ACUTE
Further TAB-prodding will give you these choices
LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E ACUTE (É) 	LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E WITH ACUTE (É)
LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E WITH CIRCUMFLEX AND ACUTE (Ế)
LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E WITH MACRON AND ACUTE (Ḗ)
LATIN SMALL LETTER E ACUTE (é) 	LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE (é)
LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH CIRCUMFLEX AND ACUTE (ế)
LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH MACRON AND ACUTE (ḗ)

You could go one step more sophisticated and use TeX-input method
(C-x RET C-\)
After which \'e will collapse as é
“Yeah ok but how the ^)*^$# am I to remember the mantra \'e?!” you may ask
True… So as you rightly do,
- pick it up from google
- put emacs into tex input mode
- paste from google into emacs
- place point on the new char and type C-u C-x =
  Among other things emacs will helpfully inform you (among other things)
  to input: type "\'{e}" or "\'e" with TeX input method