Pros and cons of Python sources?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 11:34:20 EST 2017

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 9:45:07 PM UTC+5:30, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 11/25/2017 02:20 AM, Martin Schöön wrote:
> > Some time ago I was advised that having a Python installation
> > based on several sources (pip and Debian's repos in my case)
> > is not a good idea. I need to tidy up my installation and I
> > don't know what to opt for and what to opt out.
> >
> > What are the pros and cons of the alternatives including the
> > ones I haven't mentioned? Completeness, currency, bugs...
>
> The problem with mixing repository-installed packages with pip-installed
> packages is that there's always a chance a Debian update will overwrite
> a pip package, possibly with an older version.  Or a pip-installed
> package might bring in a new version that's not compatible with some
> debian-installed package, breaking something.

On (recent?) debian/ubuntu pip seems to use the 'user-scheme'
which means pip runs without sudo and installs in ~/.local/lib
So I dont believe literal overwriting would occur
What could occur is shadowing — two versions of package foo and an unclarity of
which is in use…

Alister's suggestion is what I always try first.
Doesnt always work because OS packages could be stale and/or non-existent