Compile Python 3 interpreter to force 2-byte unicode

wxjmfauth wxjmfauth nospam.nospam.wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 09:36:00 EST 2017

Le dimanche 26 novembre 2017 05:53:55 UTC+1, Rustom Mody a ÄCcritâ :
> On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 3:43:29 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 9:05 AM,  wojtek.mula wrote:
> > > Hi, my goal is to obtain an interpreter that internally
> > > uses UCS-2. Such a simple code should print 65535:
> > >
> > >   import sys
> > >   print sys.maxunicode
> > >
> > > This is enabled in Windows, but I want the same in Linux.
> > > What options have I pass to the configure script?
> >
> > Why do you want to? What useful value do you have in creating this
> > buggy interpreter?
>
> I see that you are familiar with this bug: https://bugs.python.org/issue13153
>
> And I see it or something very close is still buggy in python 3.5
> [No it does not allow me to paste an SMP char but if I open a file containing
> one it crashes and rather messily â ö no way to close the idle other than
killing
> the shell]
>
> No thats not a diatribe against idle; just that its reasonable to want python
> to support work-arounds for reasonably common bugs in the current
unicode-ecosystem

Yes, it's a little bit extraordinary, to see a language which is supposed to
work internally in a "UCS-2/UTF-16" (very quoted) mode with a graphical toolkit
 also woking in a "UCS-2/UTF-16" succeeds to raise UTF-8 errors (!).

Patches over patches over patches over pathches ... will never solve what is
wrong by design.

As semi correctly pointed, for serious Unicode works use serious tools with a
correct Unicode implementation.

There are even tools, where the following is printable:

>>> '\ud800\udc00'.isprintable()
False