Benefits of unicode identifiers

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Fri Nov 24 07:12:15 EST 2017

On 24/11/2017 11:56, Stefan Ram wrote:
> Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert at gmx.net> writes:
>> However, the main point has been answered - Python already
>> does what is talked about. End of story.
>
>    Java allowed Unicode in identifiers right from the get-go
>    (1995). I.e., one can write an assignment statement such as
>
> π = 3.141;

That's great. But how do I type it on my keyboard? How do I view someone
else's code on my crappy ASCII text editor?

>    . The Java community decided to ignore this and only use
>    latin letters and arabic digits (i.e., »pi1«) and English
>    words, to support the (international) exchange of code.
>
>    (However, for a beginner's tutorial in German, I might use
>    identifiers based on German words.)

German isn't very challenging apart from a couple of umlauts and that
funny symbol for ss that looks like a Greek beta. And perhaps in
Germany, keyboards will already take care of those.

But which keyboards will have π [copied from the one above!]?

Apart perhaps from the ones in Greece, where π might already be heavily
used in the same way we use 'p'.

--
bartc