Benefits of unicode identifiers (was: Allow additional separator in identifiers)

Mikhail V mikhailwas at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 13:42:11 EST 2017

Chris A wrote:

>> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 1:10 AM, Mikhail V wrote:
>>
>>> Chris A wrote:
>>>
>>> Fortunately for the world, you're not the one who decided which
>>> characters were permitted in Python identifiers. The ability to use
>>> non-English words for function/variable names is of huge value; the
>>> ability to use a hyphen is of some value, but not nearly as much.
>>
>> Fortunately for the world we have Chris A. Who knows what is
>> fortunate and of huge values.
>> So is there any real world projects example of usage of non-latin scripts
>> in identifiers? Or is it still only a plan for the new world?

> Yes, I've used them personally. And I know other people who have.

Oh, I though it would be more impressive showcase for 'huge value'.
If we drop the benefit of the bare fact that you can do it, or you just
don't know English, how would describe the practical benefit?
If you don't know english, then programming at all will be just too hard.
(or one must define a new whole language specially for some local script)

I mean for a real practical situation - for example for an average
Python programmer or someone who seeks a programmer job.
And who does not have a 500-key keyboard, and who has
a not enough high threshold of vision sensitivity to bear the look
of various scripts in one small text piece?

Ok, I personally could find some practical usage for that, but
merely for fun. I doubt though that someone with less
typographical experience and overall computer literacy could
really make benefits even for personal usage.

So - fun is one benefit. And fun is important. But is that the
idea behind it?

Mikhail