Student can't get if elif final statement to print for discussion post for python

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 08:22:16 EST 2017

Richard Damon wrote:
> Cheri Castro wrote:
> > I've tried several variations but haven't been able to
> > figure out why my final if elif statement won't print. I
> > tried using return, I tried using 1's and 0's rather than
> > yes and no. Not sure what the issue is. Please, help.
> >

> > #This function will print how many yes answers the user has and a message
> > def correctAnswers(job, house, yard, time):
> >      if correctAnswers == 'yes':
> >          print ("Congratulations! You should get a puppy!")
> >      else:
> >          return "I'm sorry, you shouldn't get a puppy."
>
> Why does one path print and the other return, those are
> different actions.

A valid point. My guess is that the OP may have wanted to
explicitly exit the look on this branch (instead of allowing
it fall off the end of the function) perhaps because some of
the code is missing from example or perhaps because some
code may be added in the future as an extension of the if
clause. Setting up such a conditional structure such as this
allows the intent to be clear. And any incidental code that
supports the if clause can be handles after flow falls off
the end of the conditional, and returns to the function
body. But who knows...

However, i'm more concerned that this code unapologetically
discriminate against those who'd rather have a kitten! :-(

I want a *KITTEN*!

And a safe space!