"help( pi )"

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Sat Nov 18 23:52:38 EST 2017

On 19Nov2017 11:49, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>Cameron Simpson wrote:
>>one could change implementations such that applying a docstring to
>>an object _removed_ it from the magic-shared-singleton pool,
>
>Is there any need to bother? If another float happened to end
>up with exactly the same value as pi and got merged with it,
>the docstring wouldn't be wrong.

Unless one had a misfortune and wanted another docstring. For pi this might not
be so likely, but consider:

  mod1.py:
    MAX_BUFSIZE = 8192
    MAX_BUFSIZE.__doc__ = 'Size of the hardware buffer used for I/O on this device.'

  mod2.py
    DEFAULT_CACHESIZE = 8192
    DEFAULT_CACHESIZE.__doc__ = 'Convenient size for the foo cache, not to big or too small.'

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> (formerly cs at zip.com.au)