Re: Windows - py363 crashes with "vonLöwis.py"

breamoreboy at gmail.com breamoreboy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 05:51:51 EST 2017

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 8:43:24 AM UTC, wxjm... at gmail.com wrote:
> Le mercredi 15 novembre 2017 23:43:46 UTC+1, Terry Reedy a écrit :

> > > Do you mean it segfaults or simply provides a traceback?  If the latter is your environment set correctly?
> >
> > Why bother?  Anyway, for the obvious interpretation of the message,
> > given f:/python/a/vonLöwis.py containing 'print("works")'"
> >
> > C:\Users\Terry>py -3.6 f:/python/a/vonLöwis.py
> > works
> >
> > --
> > Terry Jan Reedy
>
> Do you remember stringbench.py ? Years later, I still do
> not understand how it is possible to write a test module,
> which is supposed to test Unicode and does not even
> contain a non ascii char...

What has benchmarking (I assume) code got to do with your claim in the subject that Python 3.6 crashes?  I have never known any other person make this claim.

> -----
>
> Quick experiment
>
> 1) Download Py363, the embeded version. This just
> avoid a Python installation.
> 2) Unpacked it in a dir.
> 2) Put "café.py" in python36.zip
> 3) Launch python.exe

So I'll repeat my question, does it segfault or does it give a traceback?

> ---------
>
> You do not imagine how this language is problematic
> as soon as one leaves the ascii world (all platforms).
> It is better to not speak about the Flexible String
> Representation...

The thing that works perfectly all around the world except for one user, you.

> Do not take this msg badly. It's only illustrating,
> some people are still living on an another planet.

It's quite clear that you're in another universe.  Unless of course you'd actually, for the first time ever, like to produce some evidence to support your claims.  I know that hell will freeze over before that happens.

> Regards.

So how many bug reports have you raised over the years to report the dreadful state of Python's unicode implementation?  What is the difference between you running vonLöwis.py and Terry Reedy running it?  What is the difference between you running vonLöwis.py and café.py?  Why are you incapable of running code that tens of thousands of users all around the world are quite content with, to the extent that Python 3.6 is widely recognised as the best ever version of Python?