MySQLdb and conn.select_db()

Tobiah toby at tobiah.org
Wed Nov 15 11:31:54 EST 2017

I have an older Ubuntu machine, 8.04 that
errors when I try to do conn.select_db().

AttributeError: 'Connection' object has no attribute 'select_db'

My 16.4 box acts as I'd expect.  Did this get added at some
point?  I'd really like to be able to get generic links so
I can do things like "show databases" and then maybe
select_db() after that.  It's also handy to be able to
change databases on the fly for things like looking at the
table set in multiple databases.

The main docs that I can find only show select_db() under the
_mysql library, yet my new machine is supporting it from
the MySQLdb library.  Are the docs lagging?  Can I download
the 'better' MySQLdb package and install it on the 8.04
machine?

Thanks,

Tobiah