Ideas about how software should behave

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Nov 10 18:03:53 EST 2017

Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> writes:

> On 11/8/17 10:18 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> > What has been made clear to me is that we have a long way to go in
> > pursuit of allowing ideas to be held at arm's length, discussed and
> > criticised, with respect and compassion for one another.
>
> Indeed.  Beyond just respect and compassion, this discussion has
> mentioned "changing people's minds" a few times.  How's that going?

Impressively well, in my opinion. This is a forum that is worthy of its
reputation for respecting its participants by critically examining
problems and ideas, while resisting personal abuse.

That's valuable to me, which is why I am passionately defending that
tradition.

--
 \          “The only tyrant I accept in this world is the still voice |
  `\                                      within.” —Mohandas K. Gandhi |