Ideas about how software should behave (was: replacing `else` with `then` in `for` and `try`)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Nov 4 01:55:48 EDT 2017

Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> writes:

> Steve was clearly referring to the coder, not the code.

Not at all. Steve was referring specifically to the *idea*:

    [A ‘for … else’ structure without a ‘break’] should absolutely not
    be a syntax error. There's no reason for it to be a syntax error,
    except to satisfy some arrogant and foolish idea of purity.

This is clearly a criticism of the idea behind the expectation of a
syntax error. It doesn't refer to the coder, it refers explicitly to the
idea being criticised.

To respond to the criticism of an idea – criticism containing no mention
of the person – as though it “clearly refers to the [person]”, is of
significant concern on a software dicussion forum such as this.

> Please stop defending the use of incivility on this list.

Please stop conflating people, who deserve civility, with ideas. We must
not allow the civility deserved by people, to prevent us from
criticising any ideas — especially not ideas about the behaviour of
software.

--
 \      “I used to be a proofreader for a skywriting company.” —Steven |
  `\                                                            Wright |