Code Snippets

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Wed Nov 1 21:19:15 EDT 2017

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 05:57 am, Stefan Ram wrote:

> I also have heard that there was a module cache, so I
> was hoping that a second import of the same module might
> not be such an effort for the implementation.

There is: sys.modules.

Although `import spam` is cheap when spam is in the cache, its not free, and
`__import__("spam")` is even less cheap (more costly). Its a function call,
not a statement, so it requires a runtime name lookup and a function call on
top of the same process of checking the cache and importing the module.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.