Let's talk about debuggers!

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Wed Nov 1 04:42:58 EDT 2017

Thomas Jollans <tjol at tjol.eu> writes:
> I just wanted to know what tools everyone used for debugging Python
> applications - scripts / backend / desktop apps / notebooks / whatever.
> Apart from the usual dance with log files and strategically inserted
> print() calls, that is.
>
> Of course we all know and mildly dislike pdb.

I mostly develop backend components for internet applications
based on the web application framework "Zope". There,
the extension "Products.PDBDebugMode" is highly helpfull: it enters
the Python debugger ("pdb"), whenever an uncatched exception is raised
or an error is logged; "pdb" can then be used to examine the state
and check what caused the problem.