How to install Python package from source on Windows

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed May 31 04:42:39 EDT 2017

I haven't been following this thread all the way through, but I just
noticed this and I thought I'd comment.

Deborah, my sympathies for your health issues, but I do have to point out
you're in a technical community where people consider precision of
language and accuracy important. If you fail to accurately communicate
the problem, you waste both your and our time: we spend time trying to
solve the wrong problem, and you don't get a solution.

Rather than getting defensive and playing the victim (you haven't been
"impaled", or "burned at the stake", not even figuratively), can I
suggest you accept the implied or actual (mild) criticism, correct the
miscommunication ("Sorry, I didn't mean that it was pip that installed VS
2015, only that it occurred during the pip upgrade...") and move on?

You would have a legitimate grievance had you make a genuine attempt to
correct the miscommunication and get the conversation back on track, if
others ignored that and continued nitpicking. But I don't think that is
what happened.

And remember that you're in a community of volunteers. Nobody is paid to
put up with obnoxious, passive-aggressive "clients" here. The customer is
not always right here.

Referring to the issue of "was it pip or some other component of the
upgrade process" (what other components are there?):

- you neglected to tell us something pertinent to the problem;
- you assumed that we'd somehow read between the lines and infer
  this information;
- we (by which I mean the subset of people responding to this thread)
  failed to do so;
- consequently the old saw "when you ASSUME, you make an ASS out
  of U and ME" applies.

It was your assumption and your failure to communicate the nature of your
problem in sufficient detail. Yes, some folk here are too literal minded
and too focused on the small details to see the big picture, and maybe
even unable to think outside the box, but making the passive-aggressive
comment "once again I underestimated you" is *not helpful*.

At this rate, all the usual contributors here will have "kill-filed" you
and you'll be left only with those who enjoy baiting you.

So how about we start fresh? Perhaps ask your question again, in a new
thread? And please, tell us what "recordclass" is -- not everyone reading
the new thread will have read the old thread.

And guys -- anyone else reading this -- let's not carry the aggro from
this thread over into the new one, okay?

Steve