How to install Python package from source on Windows

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue May 30 05:43:14 EDT 2017

On Thursday, 25 May 2017 22:32:56 UTC+1, Deborah Swanson  wrote:
> This is my last reply on this thread to anything to do with XP SP2
> (observations in XP SP3 do not apply) or Visual Studio. I've answered
> all of the questions, some of them multiple times. Please reread the
> thread if you have more questions.

You have repeatedly stated "Python attempts to install Visual Studio" but have never provided a log showing that, or any evidence that we could use to help understand why this is happening.

Everyone here has repeatedly pointed out that Python shouldn't ever do what you're saying it does, and various people have stated that they've tested and confirmed this is the case. Sometimes they've used systems other than the version of XP that you have, but that's not (as far as anyone can tell) relevant. Nevertheless, you've dismissed these demonstrations - often with claims of "XP Bashing" which I've seen no evidence of in this thread.

It seems to me that your Python installation has somehow ended up being configured in a non-standard manner (I'm bending over backwards here to avoid triggering a "you're bashing XP" reaction here - the point is I'm not blaming anyone or anything, merely stating that there is a demonstrable difference in behaviour between your setup and the standard build). In order to help you fix this, we need more details, along the lines of:

1. Where did you get your version of Python (I believe you mentioned Anaconda)?
2. Have any changes that you can recall been made to it?
3. What precisely do you type that triggers Python to try to install Visual Studio?
4. What precisely is shown on the screen (by Python or anything else that might display diagnostic output that would help)?

It's certainly possible that you've described some or all of this information in the thread here. But it's a long thread, and to help those of us trying to assist, who don't really have time to read everything in the (long, and pretty argumentative) thread, it would be very much appreciated if you could summarise all in one consolidated reply.

Or you could just assume that we're not interested in helping you and/or we have some sort of axe to grind about your system :-(

Paul