pip list --outdated gives all packages

Cem Karan cfkaran2 at gmail.com
Sat May 27 10:34:49 EDT 2017

On May 27, 2017, at 7:15 AM, Cecil Westerhof <Cecil at decebal.nl> wrote:

> On Saturday 27 May 2017 12:33 CEST, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>
>> I wrote a script to run as a cron job to check if I need to update
>> my Python installations. I migrated from openSUSE to Debian and that
>> does not work anymore (pip2 and pip3): it displays the same with and
>> without --outdated. Anyone knows what the problem could be?
>
> It does not exactly displays the same, but it displays all packages,
> while in the old version it only displayed the outdated versions. I
> already made a change with awk, but I would prefer the old
> functionality.
>
> By the way, the patch is:
>    pip2 list --outdated --format=legacy | awk '
>        {
>            if (substr($2, 2, length($2) - 2) != $5) {
>                print $0
>            }
>        }'

Could you check the output of 'pip3 --version'?  When I tested pip3 on my machine, 'pip3 list --outdated' only yielded the outdated packages, not a list of everything out there.

I'm asking about 'pip3 --version' because I found that my PATH as an ordinary user and as root were different, so my scripts would work as an ordinary user and then fail as root.

Thanks,
Cem Karan