How to install Python package from source on Windows

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Thu May 25 18:37:09 EDT 2017

MRAB wrote, on Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:46 PM

> On 2017-05-25 21:24, Chris Angelico wrote:
> >>
> >> See my tracebacks earlier in this thread. You confirmed
> that it works
> >> in XP SP3, only.
> >
> > Doesn't matter whether VS works on SP3 but not SP2 - the point was
> > that pip works without VS.
> >
> Here's a question: does Anaconda have a special build of Python, or is

> it a standard Python bundled with extra stuff?

I'm not sure, and it's an excellent question. Anaconda stopped
installing Python on XP at 3.4.3.  python.org doesn't install 3.5 on XP,
but I don't know which build was the last one that would.

Anaconda and python.org do have completely separate and different build
processes, but I suspect the incompatibility for XP SP2 in both has to
do with failed attempts to install Visual Studio 2015. I've seen it too
many times not to be fairly sure of that. XP SP3 evidently does work, if
Michael Torrie had no problem.