How to install Python package from source on Windows

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Thu May 25 16:56:37 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-25 21:24, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 6:16 AM, Deborah Swanson
> <python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:
>>> Anyway I can confirm that VS is not required for installing
>>> and using pip on XP, nor is it required for recordclass,
>>> since it's available in wheel form.
>>
>> See my tracebacks earlier in this thread. You confirmed that it works in
>> XP SP3, only.
>
> Doesn't matter whether VS works on SP3 but not SP2 - the point was
> that pip works without VS.

Looking at the previous posts, I can see that she failed to install
recordclass because it couldn't find a compiler.

When I tried to install recordclass, pip downloaded the sources and
compiled them.

I then uninstalled recordclass.

I updated pip, which didn't need a compiler.

I installed recordclass again. Pip downloaded the wheel, and it didn't
need a compiler.

So if she's saying that updating pip requires a compiler, then there's
something screwy with her system.