How to install Python package from source on Windows

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Thu May 25 16:16:46 EDT 2017

Michael Torrie wrote, on Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:12 PM

> On 05/25/2017 10:09 AM, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> > Could be, maybe it's something they do for every
> installation, whether
> > it will use it or not. But it always breaks when it can't install
> > Visual Studio. Upgrade pip does run and it works up to that
> point. It
> > gets as far as uninstalling the old pip, but then there's no way to
> > get any pip reinstalled.
>
> I just fired up my Windows XP SP3 virtual machine, which has
> no development tools whatsoever on it (no VS, nothing). I
> installed 32-bit Python 3.4 from the official python.org
> download. Then I did the pip
> upgrade:

Yes XP SP3 can install Visual Studio 2015. No, XP SP2 cannot.

Please read earlier in this thread for the details.

> C:\Python34>python -m pip install -U pip
> Collecting pip
>   Downloading pip-9.0.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl (1.3MB)
>     100% |################################| 1.3MB 137kB/s
> Installing collected packages: pip
>   Found existing installation: pip 7.1.2
>     Uninstalling pip-7.1.2:
>       Successfully uninstalled pip-7.1.2
> Successfully installed pip-9.0.1
>
> C:\Python34>python -m pip install recordclass
> Collecting recordclass
>   Downloading recordclass-0.4.3-cp34-cp34m-win32.whl
> Installing collected packages: recordclass
> Successfully installed recordclass-0.4.3
>

> I'm not sure what's wrong with your python installation but
> it has nothing to do with Windows XP or Visual Studio.  It
> might help if you cut and paste the exact errors you are
> seeing.  Also did you mention before whether you're running
> the standard Python 3.4 package from python.org or are you
> running some third-party system? I thought you mentioned
> something about anaconda.

Please read earlier in this thread if you are still confused. Previous
of my posts also contain complete tracebacks.

> Anyway I can confirm that VS is not required for installing
> and using pip on XP, nor is it required for recordclass,
> since it's available in wheel form.

See my tracebacks earlier in this thread. You confirmed that it works in
XP SP3, only.

Deborah