How to install Python package from source on Windows

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Thu May 25 02:57:24 EDT 2017

Gregory Ewing wrote, on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:58 PM

> Deborah Swanson wrote:
>
> > So now I'm pipless.
>
> You should be able to get it back using
>
>     python -m ensurepip
>
> BTW, I don't know why upgrading pip would fail due to lack of
> Visual Studio. That shouldn't be able to happen, because pip
> is pure Python.
>
> --
> Greg

Oh, what bliss it must be to run on a system that hasn't been declared a
pariah by everyone and his dog. (But yet it covers all the essential
bases quite nicely.)

I tried ensurepip, but it also wants to install a recent version of
Visual something-or-other, and it breaks and dies when it can't. So
pipless I will be for the near term.

Pip may be pure Python, but it seems everything that wants to do
anything with pip wants a recent version of Visual something-or-other to
do it with.

I am planning to build recordclass by hand, as you outlined, after I
finish the pure namedtuples Excel sheet conversion I'm working on, and a
tkinter display with postgre permanent data storage for it. The only
reason building recordclass by hand might fail is if a file or files
needs to be dropped somewhere that I can't anticipate or figure out. But
I'd like to see what recordclass can do, I just need this one
spreadsheet's worth of code working asap first, with as little fuss as
possible.

Deborah