Verifiably better, validated Enum for Python

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed May 24 18:54:14 EDT 2017

bartc wrote:
> Anyway, my Python 3.4 comprises 5000 files in around 90MB. Minimalism
> hasn't really worked.

Most of that is standard library code, not part of the core
language.

> Well, named constants are just such literals, but with a name. The
> design of Python however means that that immediately causes a difficult
> because then we have to deal with different scopes, name lookups, and
> named constants defined inside a module or class so requiring an
> attribute lookup.

This is the kind of interaction between features that makes
extending the core language much more difficult than adding
library features. The latter is mostly a linear process, but
interactions between core language features tends to grow
exponentially.

--
Greg