How to install Python package from source on Windows

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Sun May 21 15:32:43 EDT 2017

On 21/05/2017 16:21, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 12:58 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On 21/05/2017 12:06, Chris Angelico wrote:

>> Explain why ALL these drivers, including the one I've just created, need to
>> be part of the common source code for the OS.
>
> I don't know. YOU are the one who said the source code should be in a
> single file.

No, it was you challenged me to produce a one-file kernel source code.

What I wanted was a more streamlined, more compact, more portable, less
troublesome way of distributing self-contained applications. I wasn't
suggesting bundling the source to an entire OS with it!

I don't consider the CPython bundle that portable because it really
demands that it be built under Linux. There is (now) a grudging
concession for Windows, but that solution wasn't satisfactory when I
tried it.

My links show extreme versions of what is possible. For much simple
applications, but they will still comprise 1% of the number of files
that would otherwise be required if I simply made available my sprawling
working setup like everyone else.

(With Linux kernels, I don't know enough about them to provide realistic
answers. But 60,000 files seems a lot, for the same reason that 100,000
files for a C compiler [gcc] seems a lot considering that some are MUCH
smaller. But then, both these projects are dwarfed by the apparent 1.5
*million* files of the VS sources.)

--
bartc