How to install Python package from source on Windows

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Sun May 21 10:58:06 EDT 2017

On 21/05/2017 12:06, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 8:23 PM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> (If you imagine a future where the number of targets has increased a
>> hundred-fold (or we colonise the galaxy and there are a million possible
>> targets), then it might become clearer that the approach used here - putting
>> files for every conceivable machine in the same place - is not scalable.)
>
> Actually it's not scalable as soon as you have TWO targets. Every
> change has to be made to both source files. And where they differ, you
> need markers to say that it's different. You know, like ifdef lines
> usually are. I wonder if maybe the current system isn't the result of
> incompetence after all?

Let's say we have a very simple OS that just does this:

  beep(1000,100)       # pitch, duration

and stops. So the above is the entire source. It runs on disparate
machines A and B. Each of those needs to provide an implementation of
beep():

def beep(p,d):       # machine A
     out(0x100, p)
     out(0x101, d)    # or whatever

def beep(p,d):       # machine B
     callint(0x30, p,d)

Now I want to port it to a new machine, and need to provide a custom
version of beep() that works here:

def beep(p,d):
     print("beeeep!")

Explain why ALL these drivers, including the one I've just created, need
to be part of the common source code for the OS.

Or why a change in the source code of the OS, eg. changing it to:
    beep(500, 50)
    beep(2000,200)

Needs to be done in three different places.

--
Bartc