How to install Python package from source on Windows

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri May 19 21:33:04 EDT 2017

bartc wrote:
> If I delete the .a file and do make again, then it will give me a list
> of object files comprising libpython3.6m.a (not sure why it needs to be
> a library, rather than bundle the list of .o files with python.o).

Most of the interpreter is built as a library so that other
programs can embed it easily. (Usually they link to the shared
version rather than the static version, though. Not sure why
the static library is there, maybe just for completeness
in case someone wants it.)

The python executable that you normally run is just a small
stub that links to the library.

--
Greg