How to install Python package from source on Windows

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Fri May 19 19:29:15 EDT 2017

On 19/05/2017 23:22, breamoreboy at gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 1:41:02 AM UTC+1, Michael Torrie wrote:
>> On 05/18/2017 05:15 PM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>>> Oh but this is Bart we're talking about. Of course his code generator is
>>> perfect, it is unthinkable that it emits incorrect code.
>>
>> I think we've picked on Bart enough for one day.  Fortunately he seems
>> rather good natured, but this is bordering on the ad hominem in my
>> opinion.  Sure Bart's posts often reflect a bit of confrontation in
>> regards to his own programming languages vs Python.  But I don't think
>> an attack ("of course his code generator is perfect") is called for.
>>

> I disagree entirely.  For a person who claims to have 40 years programming experience I say he's completely clueless.  Until such time as he can show that he understands source code control, the difficulties in building cross platform code and the other 1,000,001 problems that people who have to work in teams have to put up with on a daily basis, I will not be changing my opinion.  Run time speed, which he is completely obsessed with, is for 99.99% of programmers in the 21st century irrelevant.

 > I disagree entirely.  For a person who claims to have 40 years
 >programming experience I say he's completely clueless.  Until such time
 > as he can show that he understands source code control, the
 > difficulties in building cross platform code and the other 1,000,001
 > problems that people who have to work in teams have to put up with on
 > a daily basis, I will not be changing my opinion.

That's not really coding, IMO. Just the same sort of cooperation you
have to do in any sort of endeavour or in a large company.

What I call coding is a lot more hands-on with less reliance on massive
great toolsets or libraries that already contain everything you could
possibly need.

 > Run time speed, which he is completely obsessed with, is for 99.99%
 > of programmers in the 21st century irrelevant.

Fortunately /some/ people are obsessed with these things, otherwise we
wouldn't have fast processors, fast memory, fast storage, fast
connections, nor super-optimising compilers.

And we wouldn't have people spending considerable efforts on tracing
JITs as used for Javascript or the PyPy project for Python.

--
bartc