How to install Python package from source on Windows

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Fri May 19 17:18:04 EDT 2017

On 19/05/2017 19:53, eryk sun wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 1:57 PM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> The 'improvement' seems to involve making things more complicated rather
>> than less.

> You don't need a full Visual Studio 2015 installation. You can install
> Visual C++ 2015 Build Tools [1], which includes MSBuild, and use the
> x86 or x64 native tools command prompt. Install the WDK to get the
> Windows debuggers windbg, cdb, kd, and ntsd.
>
> To build the external dependencies, you'll need svn and nasm in PATH.
> You don't need git if you've downloaded the source manually. Ignore
> the warning if it can't find git.
>
> [1]: http://landinghub.visualstudio.com/visual-cpp-build-tools

TBH I've no idea what most of these things do. So if something goes
wrong, I can't hack my way around them.

(And things will go wrong; I've just tried to uninstall VS2017, as I
think it was, and eventually it said 'Uninstall Failed'! I download
msbuild tools you suggested. MSBUILD, I simply don't know how to use.
CL, either it can't find it, or it crashes. So forget it.

I'm not impressed. People are trying to be far too clever by halves and
are forgetting the basics. Especially MS.)

But for building Python, I think trying to get these myriad applications
working and talking to each other, and then relying on scripts that may
unexpectedly fail, is the wrong approach. For people like me anyway.

I will look some more at the Python code, and maybe tinker with it
trying to find out what's what, if no one can just tell me.

--
bartc