How to install Python package from source on Windows

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri May 19 06:03:10 EDT 2017

On 5/19/2017 2:33 AM, Christian Gollwitzer wrote:

> Caveat Emptor: I haven't run this build bat on Windows myself. I am a
> bit astonished it depends on svn. Which software packages does it
> download via svn?

At least some of the dependencies.  You can check the external.bat
invoked by the -e option.

 > Isn't everything hosted on git these days, or at least
> mirrored somewhere where it can be accessed via git?

Until CPython switched to git 3 months ago, that was irrelevant.  Not
everything was accessible via hg.  Since svn was needed at all, no
reason to fiddle with what worked.

When everything else more important is done, someone will look into
whether svn could be made *completely* unneeded.

--
Terry Jan Reedy