How to install Python package from source on Windows

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Thu May 18 23:31:55 EDT 2017

On Fri, 19 May 2017 07:46 am, bartc wrote:

> And why am I being put through the third degree?

When you are a lone wolf cowboy coder, and you choose to publicly criticise
code written by dozens of people and claim that your code is so much better
than theirs, then you should expect to be asked to "put up or shut up".

If you cannot substantiate your criticisms, or your claim to superiority,
then expect to be given a hard time.

You're not a beginner who doesn't know better who is asking for help, or
even a beginner who doesn't realise there is more to learn. You are a
self-proclaimed expert who claims to know better than the Python core devs
and essentially the *entire* community of Unix and Linux developers. And
not in a good way:

   "Hey guys, maybe I'm missing something, but I think this can be
   done in a better way, have you considered..."

or even:

   "This build process seems awfully complicated and like a lot of
   hard work for little benefit, what am I missing?"

but:

   "That can't possibly be justified." [on configure scripts]

   "The stuff in configure is complete gobbledygook..."

   "It is impossible that all this is needed just to figure out what
   source files need to be compiled."

   "The content of configure is high-level human readable source
   code. But it is meaningless."

It can be justified; it isn't complete gobbledygook; it is needed; humans
aren't supposed to be reading the generated code in configure, but if they
do the code isn't meaningless.

--
Steve
Emoji: a small, fuzzy, indistinct picture used to replace a clear and