How to install Python package from source on Windows

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Thu May 18 23:31:46 EDT 2017

On Fri, 19 May 2017 04:17 am, bartc wrote:

> The wall of text consists of very long string constants that gcc is
> displaying so it can tell you they are very long. (One or two compilers
> can't handle them, but gcc can, so a routine that would normally divide
> them into smaller ones has been disabled.)

That is incorrect. The wall of text consists of hundreds of warnings, some
of which may be spurious, but I wouldn't bet on all of them being so.

> > Holy mother of perl! Look at all those warnings! Uninitialised
> variables,
>
> There is one uninitialised variable reported. And that is used only in
> an error situation. But yes, that was a mistake.

"Only one"?

[steve at ando langs]$ gcc -Wall -m32 -O3 qlang/pcc32.c -opcc -lm 2>&1 | grep
uninitialized | wc -l
28

Here's the first ten:

[steve at ando langs]$ gcc -Wall -m32 -O3 qlang/pcc32.c -opcc -lm 2>&1 | grep
uninitialized | head
qlang/pcc32.c:4126: warning: ‘size’ may be used uninitialized in this
function
qlang/pcc32.c:8952: warning: ‘c’ may be used uninitialized in this function
qlang/pcc32.c:3875: warning: ‘q’ may be used uninitialized in this function
qlang/pcc32.c:9369: warning: ‘j’ may be used uninitialized in this function
qlang/pcc32.c:4235: warning: ‘moduleno’ may be used uninitialized in this
function
qlang/pcc32.c:14723: warning: ‘t’ may be used uninitialized in this function
qlang/pcc32.c:14724: warning: ‘a’ may be used uninitialized in this function
qlang/pcc32.c:11815: warning: ‘ptr’ may be used uninitialized in this
function
qlang/pcc32.c:8952: warning: ‘c’ may be used uninitialized in this function
qlang/pcc32.c:11324: warning: ‘retval’ may be used uninitialized in this
function

Its a bit naughty to claim "one" uninitialized variable when there are
somewhere between 10 and 28.

--
Steve
Emoji: a small, fuzzy, indistinct picture used to replace a clear and