How to install Python package from source on Windows

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu May 18 10:58:05 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-17, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

> The content of configure is high-level human readable source code.

No it isn't.  Human-readable, that is.  And it isn't intended to be.

> But it is meaningless.

IOW, it's not human-readable.

Expecting to understand the code in configure.sh is like expecting to
understand the assembly output from an optimizing C compiler.

>> are very nice and simple, and cross-platform.  But all of these generate
>> Makefiles, which would likely be considered unnecessary gobbligook to
>> you, I suspect.
>
> Yes. The end-result of all this might be something like:
>
>    gcc -c file1.c
>    gcc -c file2.c
>    gcc file1.o file2.o ... -opython.exe
>
> Someone please explain why I can't just do that

Because all OSes are not the same.  If you want to write a C program
that only builds for one particular version of one OS using one
version of one compiler, you can do that.  If you want something that
will build for a wide variety of very different OSes, libraries, and
compilers, you can't do that.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! How's the wife?
                                  at               Is she at home enjoying