What if range did not exist?

justin walters walters.justin01 at gmail.com
Thu May 18 10:36:56 EDT 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 12:34 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2017 14:13:18 -0700, breamoreboy wrote:
>
> > Here it is
> > https://aroberge.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/what-if-range-did-not-
> exist.html.
> >  I found it interesting as it gives background into the Python
> > community's development philosophy.  I read it from start to finish but
> > some of you may simply wish to jump to the punch line.
>
> This is not the punch line, but I thought it captured the essence of the
> Python-Ideas mailing list perfectly:
>
> "Since this was clearly never going to be considered seriously, another
> very long and pointless side discussion ensued."
>
> A little bit long, but not unamusing :-)
>

> --
> Steve
> --

I find it interesting that 4chan was mentioned as the electoral college for
this fictional PL.

I'm sure the author was just trying to make the allusion that asking the
masses to decide on
language features and design is akin to asking a cesspit of trolls to run a
country. I visit /g/ quite
often and I have always noticed the disdain that they have for Python over
there. Sometimes I think
there is implied irony in the hatred, but other times, I think it really is
just people talking out of their
collective you know whats. Just continuing the tradition of irrelevant
tangents . :)